Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2009

Chicken Wellington

My friend Tammie had a dinner party last weekend and served "Chicken Wellington". It sounded intriguing, so I asked for the recipe. I got the basics from her, made a few changes, and it turned out pretty tasty, even if I do say so myself! The most notable change is I used Pillsbury Crescent rolls for the crust instead of puff pastry. There I was in Publix searching for the puff pastry with no luck. I had decided on the crescent rolls and had them in the basket by the time the elusive puff pastry was found. I stood in front of the freezer case pondering my choices. I already had the "taste" of the rolls in my mind, and puff pastry looked too delicate. Let's face it- the fact that the crescent rolls were $1.89 and the pastry was $4.59 also came into play. So here is my version:

Pillsbury Crescent rolls (one can will wrap two breasts)
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Light cream cheese
Montreal seasoning
Poultry seasoning
1 egg- separated
Mushrooms
Chicken stock (or bullion- see recipe)
White wine
butter / margarine
flour

De-gick the chicken breasts, dust with poultry seasoning. Sear lightly on both sides in a bit of olive oil in a big skillet. Unroll the crescent rolls, divide in half. Take a rolling pin to seal the perforations for triangles. In a separate bowl, combine softened cream cheese, poultry seasoning and Montreal Seasoning. Take the cream cheese mixture and spread on crescent roll half, leaving about 1/2 inch on all sides. Place seared chicken breast in the middle and fold dough over the chicken breast. Place in a baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray seam side down. Repeat with remaining chicken breast(s).

Separate your egg, and add a bit of water to the white. Whisk and brush on pastry for a nice shine. Cut 3-4 small "v" holes on top to vent.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees and the pastry is golden brown. I always use a thermometer when cooking, because I'm a freak about killing bacteria. In this case, you can't actually see the chicken for the pastry, so I would highly recommend using a thermometer.

In your skillet, add a little butter (I prefer to use the olive oil margarine- it's better for you-but I am certain butter would be tastier!) and saute a package of mushrooms. Tammie used portabellas, but I chose white and they did just fine. Saute mushrooms until brown, remove from pan. add about 2 tsp of flour to the residual butter and brown a bit. This will prevent a "raw" taste in the sauce from the raw flour. When flour is slightly browned, add 1 cup of chicken stock. Ok- so I firmly believe chicken stock would add much more depth of flavor, but unless I've recently purchased a rotisserie chicken, I don't have stock. Chicken broth will work fine, or in a pinch (and I usually am) I use the gold bullion cube dissolved in 1 cup of water. It worked fine tonight.

Add the mushrooms back to the sauce, and 1 cup of white wine. Remember to use something good enough to drink. I may have added a bit more than 1 cup....and a pinch of salt.

Continue working the sauce until all the lumps are gone.

Slice the Chicken Wellington into 1 1/2 inch thick portions. Serve 2 slices per plate and pour sauce over them right before serving. These two chicken breasts certainly could have served 3-4 people so it's a good way to stretch your protein out...but we're pigs around here and we ate it all.

I served this with a side of roasted asparagus. It was tasty, and really easy although it appeared to be quite fancy. I will definitely do this for my next dinner party too!

I really like the idea of the chicken wrapped in the crescent rolls. Mr. F and I were thinking up other flavor profiles that would be good like a Southwestern Calzone or something, so stay tuned. I may come up with a different version of this in the very near future.

Here's a bonus- the left over cream cheese mixture tasted really yummy as a dip! I added a bit of sour cream to it and munched on it with crackers while dinner was cooking.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Cris-- For stock in a hurry, look for a product called "Better than Boullion" ... because, well, it's better than boullion. It's a thick, almost solid substance that you have to keep in the fridge once opened. It comes in a little plastic tub. You spoon it out and mix with boiling water. <3, Travis

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a challenging recipe

    ReplyDelete